The salt reference is important. We are told that we are the salt of the earth, but if we don’t do the work of salt, we are ineffective and worthy to be thrown out! God is serious…we have received from Him the ability to make a difference by having His Spirit flow through us and change the world.
Let’s look at what salt is and does. Do we match up, also, in the things of the Lord?
- Adds flavor – do we leave a good taste, so to speak, in others’ mouths?
- Preserves/prevents decay – do we help prevent the decay of sin?
- Cleanses and heals – do we bring the balm of Gilead to the wounds of others?
- Penetrates – are we vessels that are used to deeply affect others?
- Changes what it goes into and on – do we bring change?
- Is quiet/no snap, crackle and pop – are we willing to work quietly behind the scenes?
- Is visible, but works silently – can we hold our tongues and keep our own opinion?
- Spreads – do we spread the word of God?
- You can’t stop its process once it is present – do we let the Spirit rule and have His way?
Endure the fire…it’s producing pure gold!