Some have misunderstood James’ comments regarding the rich…as he tells them to “weep and howl for the miseries which are coming upon you." (Vs 1). James is not railing against riches; he is making the point that if someone is not of the Lord, even his riches will not help him when he dies. In comparison to the riches in Christ, the riches of men are like dust and rust…worthless.
He continues to impress on the reader the importance of faith (binding) in Jesus Christ. A summary of James 1-5 includes the major faith principles:
- Faith without works is dead
- Faith is more than mere words or knowledge
- Faith must produce/be visible
- Faith must inspire action and is demonstrated by obedience
- Faith endures trials and understands temptations (doesn’t allow us to consent to our lusts)
- Faith obeys the word of God
- Faith produces DOERS
- Faith harbors no prejudice
- Faith and favoritism cannot co-exist
- Faith controls the tongue
- Faith gives the ability for separation from the world and to resist the devil and draw near to God
- Faith waits patiently for the coming of the Lord
(Listen to entire sermon below.)
If you have never put your complete faith in Jesus Christ for your eternal salvation, why not believe what God's word says and call on Jesus Christ to save you right now? Click here and let us show you how you can KNOW JESUS.