If our lives were to be trouble free…then why are the titles of God’s Spirit:
I’m not saying that you need to live in fear. Things ARE scary in life, but you don’t need to be scared! God really means it when He says, “Fear not, for I am with you.”
Hebrews 11 is called the “faith chapter.” It recounts the TRIUMPHS of faith…the chronicle of fallen man, slugging through the challenges that we all face in a fallen world.
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it (meaning faith) the men of old gained approval. By faith, we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was NOT made out of things which can be seen.
Let’s take a look at some of the people mentioned in Hebrews 11. We’ll see how even though their lives weren’t “trouble free,” they were able to cling to God.
Abel: (Vs 4)
- BY FAITH – He offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain, which God proclaimed was righteous. Even though Abel is dead, he still speaks!
Enoch: (Vs 5)
- It says that before Enoch was taken up to heaven, that he was pleasing to God. His relationship with God was pleasing—it was BY FAITH.
- (Vs 6) goes on to say that without FAITH it is impossible to please Him. For he who comes to God must believe, (bind himself) that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.
Noah: (Vs 7)
- BY FAITH – without seeing anything that God was warning him about, he built an ark and it SAVED his family; but not without a lot of “troubles.” People mocked, scoffed, and told him he was nuts…at least until it started to rain!
Abraham: (Vs 8)
- BY FAITH – when promised he’d receive an inheritance, he went out without knowing exactly where he was going, living in a foreign land in tents (not some castle) while waiting for God’s promises.
Sarah: (Vs 11)
- BY FAITH – even old Sarah was able to conceive. She believed God’s promises to her (even though snickering for a while).
The next few verses remind us that all these people died without seeing the “promised” Savior…but they kept on believing Him for what He SAID and not what they SAW!
Abraham again: (Vs 17)
- BY FAITH – He offered up his only son (word picture of God and Jesus!!), believing that God knew what He was doing. DO YOU?
Isaac: (Vs 19)
- BY FAITH – He blessed both Jacob and Esau…trusting God to lead the way
Moses: (Vs 23)
- BY FAITH – Moses was hidden by his parents…trusting God to fulfill His plan with him
- BY FAITH – Moses left Egypt and all of his comforts and power
- BY FAITH – he kept the Passover
- BY FAITH – they passed through the Red Sea
- BY FAITH – the walls of Jericho came down
- BY FAITH – Rahab, the harlot (not exactly a squeaky-clean citizen) didn’t perish when she should have…she took in the Jewish spies!
The Scripture goes on to say that time would run out if he told of Gideon, Samson, David, Samuel and the like…who BY FAITH:
- Conquered kingdoms
- Performed acts of righteousness
- Obtained promises
- Shut the mouths of lions
- Quenched fires
- Escaped the sword
- Were made strong even though weak
- Became mighty in war
- Put foreign armies to flight
- The dead were resurrected
Oh yes…sign me up for that life…trouble free…oh, yeah!!
- Some were tortured
- Others were mocked
- Some were scourged
- Some were put in chains and prisons
- They were stoned
- They were sawn in two
- They were tempted
- They were put to death by the sword
- They wore sheepskins
- They were destitute, afflicted and ill-treated
- Wandering in the desert, living in caves and holes in the ground
WHAT IN THE WORLD?
Read verses 39-40:
And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised (Jesus, the Messiah), because God had provided something BETTER for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect.
God never promised us a rose garden here
- But we are PROMISED eternal life with Him
- TRUST HIM ON THIS!
It’s not a trouble-free life, but you can be “care free” in Him.
NOW GO LIVE IT!
If you have never put your complete faith in Jesus Christ for your eternal salvation, why not believe what God's word says and call on Jesus Christ to save you right now? Click here and let us show you how you can KNOW JESUS