EPHESIANS 4 - UNITY IN THE BODY OF CHRIST
Ever notice how God so often talks about “team”, “no man is an island” stuff. He teaches us about the Body of Christ, the Church, the believers (plural), etc. But just a word of caution here…your salvation is not a team sport; you don’t get into the Kingdom of God on the team’s coat tails. Nope, your salvation is your personal and intimate relationship with Jesus. Make sure you are on His team first.
As I speak today on the unity in the body of Christ, it so reminds me of many of the principles in the military. Any of you who have been in the military will know what I mean.
Military leadership means that you:
• Inspire others
• Don’t just bark out commands
• Ensure that justice prevails
• Establish and promote programs that promote health and happiness (the military now calls it Resiliency Training)
• Pursue absolute integrity and honesty in thought, word and deed for yourself and those you lead
• Know your people
• Meet with them frequently and regularly
• Focus on areas that need to be improved
• Are accountable, thoroughly and accurately communicate and live by the Core Values
• Are not a know it all; are open to ideas, corrections and knowledge
• Are decisive and not wishy-washy
• Are consistent, not driven by good and bad hair days
• Are visible, with the people and don’t micromanage them
• Have high expectations and lead by example
• Take responsibility for things that fail and praise others when success prevails
Many of us have lived that, or at least tried our best; very difficult to do with only a broken Adam nature. These higher goals can only be reached by a higher nature inside. So, ask Jesus inside and go from there!
Let’s take a look at God’s Army:
Ephesians 4:1-16: Walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called.
• With all humility, gentleness, patience. Showing forbearance with one another in love (you are NOT the boss, bully or king!)
• Being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace, for there is one body and one Spirit (inspire others, ensure justice)
• Just as you were called in one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all
• But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift, He gave gifts to men
• He gave some as apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers
For the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ (like Basic Training!)
FOR HOW LONG?
• Until we all attain to the unify of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to the mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fulness of Christ (AIT, Air Staff and Command College, Air War College!)
TO WHAT RESULT?
• That we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming (be decisive and not wishy washy)
• But speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ
• Jesus, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by that which every joint supplies (each and every one of us)
• According to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love
LEADERSHIP MESSAGE … YES, GO TEAM!
God bless you all.
NOW GO LIVE IT!
[Live recording of sermon.]