Two things keep coming up, though, which interfere with that belief and a smooth alliance with God and what He has promise. Those two pesky problems are WORRY and STRESS.
When we worry and stress, we really are saying that it’s okay not to trust God. That's because the stuff in my life is somehow so important and so exceptional that I just have to keep controlling it and running it, all the while not ever knowing how it’s going to turn out but hoping it will. What a rat race that is! And you know what…both worry and stress reek of arrogance before God! Ouch!
There are some things you can do regarding worry and stress:
- Reconcile relationships: Dealing with a broken relationship can sap your coping abilities.
- Rest: Set aside some time each day for quiet and rest…even 15 minutes can help.
- Set boundaries: Learn to say, “I’m sorry, but I can’t”…those 5 words can save you hours of grief.
- Choose to get enough sleep: Sleep is God’s idea, not ours!
- Do the right thing, not the most things! Set priorities.
- Pay attention to your physical health: Eating right and exercise = more energy.
- Schedule FREE TIME…Make an appointment to do nothing.
- Live within your means: Stress about finances is killing us today…spend less, save more…simple.
Now those are all well and good and scripturally sound things…but they are all physical things you can do and measure.
We also need to take a direct look at the scriptures so we can follow what God has said to do in our souls regarding our hectic lives.
Philippians 4:6-7 – be anxious for nothing
Psalm 4:8 – lie down in peace
Romans 8:6 – mind set on the Spirit is life and peace
Psalm 29:11 – the Lord gives peace
Isaiah 26:3 – trust God, get peace
Matthew 6:25-34 – in everything give thanks
1 Peter 5:6-7 – cast your cares on Him
Wow! Maybe we could write a book on how to handle today’s worry and stress. Oh, wait…God already did – it’s the Bible! Read it!
(Listen to entire sermon below.)
If you have never put your complete faith in Jesus Christ for your eternal salvation, why not believe what God's word says and call on Jesus Christ to save you right now? Click here and let us show you how you can KNOW JESUS.